Steven Fein is a partner of the Firm. He specializes in joint venture equity investments and formation, real estate related lending, acquisitions and disposition, and loan and joint venture workouts. Mr. Fein’s clients include major financial institutions, pension funds, commercial banks, and private investors. His lending work includes permanent loans, bridge loans, construction loans, preferred equity investments and mezzanine loans.
Mr. Fein is listed in The Best Lawyers in America for Real Estate (2007-2019). He has served on the steering committee of the Real Estate Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and as chair of the Real Estate Finance Subsection (Southern California) of the State Bar of California.
The following is a representative list of closed transactions:
- Represented a pension fund/university endowment in the acquisition from a major life insurance company of an approximately $1.15B multi-family and commercial office building multi-state portfolio, including the negotiation of a joint venture with the seller (who retained a ten percent (10%) interest in the portfolio).
- Represented a real estate fund in a $100MM programmatic joint venture with a state pension fund for the purpose of acquiring and repositioning office and/or industrial properties in the Western United States.
- Represented a developer in a joint venture with a major institutional equity provider for the construction of a 388-unit Class A multi-family project in Irvine, California. The total capitalization for the project was approximately $200MM.
- Represented a real estate fund as preferred equity provider in a joint venture with a Texas based developer for the construction of a 409-unit apartment complex located in Dallas, Texas. The total capitalization for the project was approximately $85MM.
- Represented an institutional lender in connection with a $32MM mezzanine loan for the financing of a Class A office building in Atlanta, Georgia.
Prior to joining the Firm, Mr. Fein was a partner of the Paul Hastings LLP, DLA Piper US LLP and Seyfarth Shaw LLP law firms, where he practiced in the Real Estate departments of those firms.
J.D., Albany Law School of Union University, cum laude
University of Pennsylvania Law School
B.A., Union College, magna cum laude
Los Angeles County Bar Association – Real Property Section
Co-Author, “Property Lines,” A Publication of Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Real Estate Department,” Newsletter, Seyfarth Shaw LLP (June 16, 2014)