Nader Pakfar is a founding partner of the Firm. He specializes in both real estate and general business matters, representing corporate and institutional clients in a wide variety of debt and equity transactions.
Mr. Pakfar has counseled real estate developers, operators, investors and lenders with respect to joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions, commercial leasing, real estate-backed financings, loan modifications and restructurings, bankruptcy sales, and related matters. He has particular experience representing borrowers and lenders in complex structured financings involving senior, subordinate, and mezzanine debt, and preferred equity. His transactions have involved virtually all types of real estate assets, including world class hotels and resorts, office buildings, industrial projects, shopping centers, residential properties, and student housing complexes.
Additionally, Mr. Pakfar has substantial experience in the securities field. His transactions have involved the formation of private equity funds and emerging growth companies, the issuance of securities (from both the investor and company side), mergers and acquisitions, and initial and follow-on public offerings.
Mr. Pakfar is a Fellow of the American College of Mortgage Attorneys (ACMA).
Significant representations and transactions include:
- Represented borrower in the refinancing of a Class A office building in Chicago, IL, involving $450MM in senior and mezzanine debt.
- Represented mezzanine lender in connection with $60MM in financing for residential communities in Arizona and Texas.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in acquisition of a Class A office building in Chicago, IL, involving the assumption and restructuring of $500MM in structured CMBS debt.
- Represented lender in connection with $30MM construction loan for the development of a retail shopping center in Los Angeles, CA.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in $180MM acquisition of portfolio of nine (9) shopping centers in San Diego, CA, including the assumption of multiple CMBS loans.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in the $150MM acquisition and $106,000,000 financing of portfolio of seven multifamily properties in Las Vegas, NV.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in $64MM acquisition and $42MM financing of 14 acre, 271K square foot mixed-use office, retail and residential center in Emeryville, CA.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $50MM acquisition of a Class A office building in Los Angeles, CA, including with respect to the assumption of a $40MM CMBS loan and the negotiation of a $5MM preferred equity investment.
- Represented purchaser in connection with $5.3MM acquisition, in a “363” sale out of bankruptcy, of a business and related real estate in Rancho Cucamonga, CA.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $42MM acquisition and concurrent financing of a medical building in Beverly Hills, CA.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $150MM acquisition and concurrent financing of a portfolio of 13 hotels located in 8 states.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $53MM acquisition and concurrent financing of the MCI office building in Denver, CO.
- Represented lead lender in connection with $70MM syndicated construction loan for the development of a 400-unit, 18-hole golf course community near Lake Tahoe, CA.
- Represented preferred equity investor in connection with a joint venture to own and operate telecommunications buildings in San Jose, CA valued at $120MM, structuring the transaction vis-à-vis both senior and mezzanine lenders.
- Represented subordinate lender in connection with $90MM financing of multiple properties located in San Francisco, CA, and Boston, MA, structuring the transaction vis-à-vis both senior and mezzanine lenders.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with the structuring of a joint venture to acquire $160MM portfolio of student housing complexes in MN, TX, and FL involving $120MM securitized mortgage loan.
Prior to founding the Firm, Mr. Pakfar was a member of the Dentons and Brobeck, Phleger and Harrison law firms, where he practiced in the Corporate and Real Estate departments of those firms.
University of California, Hastings College of Law, J.D., cum laude, Order of the Coif
University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., Political Science
Mr. Pakfar was a member of the Order of the Coif and the Thurston Honor Society, and received American Jurisprudence Awards (top score in the class) in Contracts, Criminal Law, and Legal Writing & Research
Los Angeles County Bar Association – Real Property Section Reporter
Special Olympics of Southern California – Volunteer
New West Charter School – Pro Bono Counsel
Risks of Non-Recourse Carveouts in CMBS Loans Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2016, page 18