Kelsey Thayer is a partner at the Firm. She specializes in real estate matters involving diverse asset classifications, representing clients in a range of debt and equity transactions. Ms. Thayer has counseled private equity firms, operators, developers, investors, and lenders with respect to a variety of real estate transactions, including mortgage, mezzanine, and ground leasehold financing; acquisitions and dispositions; joint ventures; commercial leasing; workouts and restructuring of mortgage debt; and REO portfolio management and disposition.
Significant representations and transactions include:
- Represented borrower in connection with $448 million mortgage and mezzanine refinancing of Class A office tower in Chicago, Illinois.
- Represented equity partner in the structuring of joint ventures to acquire rental properties in Nevada, North Carolina, Georgia, and Virginia.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $85 million acquisition of two Class A office buildings in Nashville, Tennessee and concurrent financing.
- Represented borrower in connection with $75 million mortgage and mezzanine refinancing of three shopping centers in San Diego, California.
- Represented private equity fund in connection with a joint venture to acquire a Class A office tower in Chicago, Illinois and concurrent assumption and restructuring of $472 million CMBS loan.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $180 million acquisition of nine shopping centers in San Diego, California and concurrent assumption of $137 million CMBS debt.
- Represented borrower in connection with $84 million mortgage and mezzanine financing of a residential villa and condominium development project in Kohala Coast, Hawaii.
- Represented seller in connection with $80 million sale of a Class A office tower in San Jose, California.
- Represented borrower in connection with $115 million fee and leasehold financing of a mixed-use project in downtown Phoenix, Arizona.
- Represented equity partner in the structuring of joint venture to acquire $31 million hotel in Bend, Oregon and concurrent financing of $25 million.
- Represented equity partner in the structuring of joint ventures to acquire office and warehouse properties in California, Arizona, and Minnesota.
- Represented institutional lender in the workout of $400 million loan portfolio, including deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, restructuring of existing debt, and disposition of 51 multi-family residential and hotel properties in San Francisco, California.
- Represented debt fund in connection with $105 million mortgage loan and $40 million mezzanine loan secured by a Class A office building in Washington, D.C.
- Represented energy company as real estate counsel in the acquisition of $2.4 billion solar power project in San Luis Obispo County, California.
- In a pro bono capacity, successfully Represented several individuals in defensive asylum proceedings and a family seeking U Visa relief.
Ms. Thayer joined the Firm as a lateral attorney from Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, where she was a transactional associate in the Real Estate Department.
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Minnesota Law Review Managing Editor
St. Olaf College, B.A., magna cum laude
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section (Prior Chair)
Women Lawyers Association of Los Angeles (Member)
Risks of Non-Recourse Carveouts in CMBS Loans (co-author) Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2016, page 18
“Silly and Sometimes Stupid Opinion Requests”, Los Angeles County Bar Association, March 2018