Kelsey Thayer is a partner at the Firm. She specializes in real estate matters involving diverse asset classifications, representing clients in a range of debt and equity transactions. Ms. Thayer has counseled national banks, private equity firms, developers, operators, and investors with respect to a variety of real estate transactions, including mortgage, mezzanine, and ground leasehold financing; acquisitions and dispositions; commercial leasing; workouts and restructuring of mortgage debt; REO portfolio management and disposition; joint ventures; and foreclosures.
Significant representations and transactions include:
- Represented institutional lender in the workout of $400 million loan portfolio, including deeds-in-lieu of foreclosure, restructuring of existing debt, and disposition of 51 multi-family residential and hotel properties in San Francisco, California.
- Represented energy company as real estate counsel in the acquisition of $2.4 billion solar power project in San Luis Obispo County, California.
- Represented lender in connection with $105 million mortgage loan and $40 million mezzanine loan secured by a Class A office building in Washington, D.C.
- Represented seller in connection with $80 million sale of a Class A office tower in San Jose, California.
- Represented purchaser/borrower in connection with $35 million acquisition and financing of an industrial building in Kapolei, Hawaii.
- Represented equity partner in the structuring of a joint venture to acquire $31 million hotel in Bend, Oregon and concurrent financing of $25 million.
- Represented borrower in connection with $24 million leasehold financing of a boutique hotel in Palo Alto, California.
- Represented equity partner in the structuring of joint ventures to acquire office and warehouse properties in California, Arizona, and Minnesota.
- In a pro bono capacity, successfully represented several individuals in defensive asylum proceedings and a family seeking U Visa relief.
Ms. Thayer joined the Firm as a lateral attorney from Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher LLP, where she was a transactional associate in the Real Estate Department.
University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, Minnesota Law Review Managing Editor
St. Olaf College, B.A., magna cum laude
Los Angeles County Bar Association, Real Property Section
American Bar Association
Ms. Thayer serves on the Executive Committee of the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association. She is the Vice President of Events and a Member of the Leadership Board of The Fringe @ Center Theatre Group, which is a non-profit organization for young professionals who are dedicated to theatre in Los Angeles. Ms. Thayer is also a member of The Urban Land Institute
“The ABCs of California Foreclosure Law,” Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2012 (co-author)